Careers :: Fife Musician
Perform with The United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps as a Fife Musician. The position requires the exclusive use of a 10-hole fife pitched in A-flat. Although fife experience is not required, it is preferred. The Fife and Drum Corps is comprised of 70 musicians whose main duty is the ceremonial support of military functions within the National Capital Region. Ceremonial duties are largely conducted outdoors and involve prolonged periods of standing and marching. The typical work schedule varies, but mainly involves daytime work hours with intermittent night or weekend commitments. The total travel time for the Corps may average a few weeks each year.
Please submit an audition portfolio that includes the following:
- Height and weight
- Date and place of birth
- Social Security number
- A current list of references (2 professional, 1 personal)
- Address to the Commander of The United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps
- Mention specifically how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position
- Include musical and non-musical experiences associated with teaching, mentorship, leadership,
and other skills such as: arranging, recording, marketing, graphic design, etc.
A recent full-length photograph
- Professional appearance/quality recommended
1 page resume
- Performance / occupational experience
- All prior marching experience
- Additional information pertaining to this position
High quality recording
Submit a high quality audio CD performed on fife and/or piccolo consisting of 10 minutes of music. Please list titles of the musical selections. Fifers include make and model of the instrument on the recording. Appropriately select from the piccolo or fife version. NOTE: Presence of a splice or edit within a selection will constitute elimination.
- Included in the recording will be a required piece, which can be found here.
- Also include selections of your choice from either the standard fife repertoire or the Baroque/early Classical flute/piccolo repertoire. These selections should demonstrate contrasting styles, your musical proficiency and your technical ability.
- Although not required, piccolo applicants are encouraged to include any fife playing in their 10 minutes of music.
The Pocket Companion is a compilation of fife tunes from multiple fife and drum corps sources. Please feel free to utilize this music for your audition packet.
Please submit hardcopies of all required audition materials. Electronic applications will not be considered.
Military applicants please include the following:
- Include a copy of your ERB
- A letter of release from your Commander
- Photos for military applicants must be an official military photo (DA Photo or other service comparable)
For additional general audition requirements, please click here.
Send pre-audition packets to:
The United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps
ATTN: Audition Coordinator
201 Jackson Avenue, BLDG 231
JBM-HH, Virginia 22211-1199
A select number of candidates will be invited to attend a live audition at Fort Myer. Due to U.S. Army regulations, your local recruiter will arrange to have all travel expenses for the audition paid for by the U.S. Army. [USAREC Reg. 11-1 Appendix B - 2 (d)6 and USAREC Reg. 37-17 Section 3-8 (b)1]. Due to the high visibility and unique requirements of the position, the audition itself will be a two-day process.
On the first day, candidates will observe the Fife and Drum Corps during a Department of the Army retirement ceremony.
Candidates may be dismissed from the audition based on their performance after any of the following assessments:
30-minute Standing Assessment:
Performance Assessment I:
Memorized selections which will be provided
- Intro to fife demonstration
Performance Assessment II:
- Prepared selections which will be provided
- Marching demonstration
- Personal interview
- Marching and playing with with a section
For further information regarding fife auditions for the Fife and Drum Corps please contact:
Staff Sergeant Troy Paolantonio
Fife Audition Coordinator