Careers :: Bugle Musician
Perform with The United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps as a Bugle Musician. The position requires the exclusive use of a single valve B-flat bugle. In addition to performing with the corps, buglers provide support for military funerals. The Fife and Drum Corps is comprised of 70 musicians whose main duty is the ceremonial support of military functions within the National Capital region. Ceremonial duties are largely conducted outdoors and involve prolonged periods of standing and marching. The typical work schedule varies, but mainly involves daytime work hours with intermittent night or weekend commitments. The total travel time for the Corps may average a few weeks each year.
Please submit an audition portfolio that includes the following:
- Height and weight
- Date and place of birth
- Social Security Number
- A current list of references (2 professional, 1 personal)
- The cover letter element is an opportunity to portray your personality; it should compliment, not duplicate, your attached resume.
- Address to the Commander of The United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps
- Detail what you, as an individual, can offer the organization
- Mention specifically how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position
- Include musical and non-musical experiences associated with teaching, mentorship, leadership,
and other skills such as: arranging, recording, marketing, graphic design, etc.
A recent full-length photograph
- Professional appearance/quality recommended
1 page resume
- Performance / occupational experience
- All prior marching experience
- Additional information pertaining to this position
High quality recording
Submit a high quality audio CD performed on trumpet consisting of 10 minutes of music including a required piece to be found here. The other selections should be of contrasting styles demonstrating your musical proficiency and technical ability. NOTE: Presence of a splice or edit within a selection will constitute elimination.
Military applicants please include the following:
- Include a copy of your ERB
- A letter of release from your Commander
- Photos for military applicants must be an official military photo (DA Photo or other service comparable)
For additional general audition requirements, please click here.
Please submit hardcopies of all required audition materials. Electronic applications will not be considered.
Send pre-audition packets to:
The United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps
ATTN: Audition Coordinator
201 Jackson Avenue, BLDG 231
JBM-HH, Virginia 22211-1199
A select number of candidates will be invited to attend a live audition at Fort Myer. Due to U.S. Army regulations, your local recruiter will arrange to have all travel expenses for the audition paid for by the U.S. Army. [USAREC Reg. 11-1 Appendix B - 2 (d)6 and USAREC Reg. 37-17 Section 3-8 (b)1]
Due to the high visibility and unique requirements of the position, the audition itself will be a two-day process.
On the first day, candidates will observe the Fife and Drum Corps during a Department of the Army retirement ceremony.
Candidates may be dismissed from the audition based on their performance after any of the following assessments:
30-minute Standing Assessment:
Performance Assessment I:
Candidates should be prepared to play selected music on the trumpet and the bugle
- Introduction to the Kanstul Bugle
Prepared solo which will be provided
The memorized and prepared selections which will be provided
Performance Assessment II (on bugle):
- The memorized and prepared selections which will be provided
- Sight reading
- Personal interview
- Performing with a section
For further information regarding bugle auditions for the Fife and Drum Corps please contact:
Staff Sergeant Brooke Metrinko
Audition Coordinator NCOIC